Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

Happy Father's Day! I hope all the father's out there (including my own :) ) are having an excellent day! While the kids and Myron nap, I thought I would quick update and show you the AWESOME secret project I have been working on!
I had the best idea for father's day. I came across it on SCS- it's by Mel Stampz here: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9891576#post9891576.
I'll just let you bask in the awesome-ness of this project:

I began making this box. I used PTI's Dark Chocolate paper (which I love!) and followed the instructions for the faux leather look:
1. Wet under tap
2. Crumple
3. Lay out flat and ink if desired (I didn't ink)
4. Iron dry
5. Hit with Versamark (a clear ink)
It worked great- while I was doing it. It looked super cool and it has so much depth. Except- when I went to glue everything together, NOTHING WOULD STICK. The versamark made everything immune to adhesive or something! It was a pain in the rear. I quickly decided that I was going to give THIS box to my husband, because he wouldn't care that it was falling apart and very fragile! I made this on Tuesday, and I reconstructed it with several different adhesives about 4 times before he actually saw it! It was a nightmare. So, I made this one next:

I began with a piece of non-SU cardstock that looked very similar to SU's Sahara Sand (I think). I did the same thing, except I didn't versamark it. It worked like a charm! This box turned out to be my favorite- IRL, it looks like khaki-like a real tool belt! See the darling little tools in the pockets? I cut them from my cricut. I did put them in Myron's box, as well, I just didn't take a photo (I feared the bright flash would cause it to fall apart!). I found the tools here: http://www.myscrapchick.com/collection_small.htm. They are so darling!!!

This box was for my dad. I put a little "brag book" inside of it. I decorated it with some paper that looked like a burlap sack, and stuck four pictures in it. The book was made of coasters and bound with a metal ring in the corner. I thought he could take it to work with him (he delivers mail) and show off a few of his grandkids!

This is the card I made for my father-in-law as well as for my grandpa (from my parents). Same idea, no versamark. I put (on all of them) "I'm so blessed to call you..." on the top rectangle piece. On the inside of these cards, I also stamped a sentiment from Verve's Because of You: "I hope that when people look at me they see a little bit of you." I thought it was super appropriate!

Finally, here is what I put in Myron's box. I made these out of coasters and some SEI paper (it's so gorgeous- most of it is girly, but a few papers can be manly!) called Chocolat. I cut the letters with my Cricut cart "Pooh Font" and used photo corners so the pictures can be interchanged. I am going to punch a few very small holes in the top corners and run fishing line through them. I am going to add a few suction cups to the fishing line so he can hang this up in his truck. He never wants books or anything like that, he just likes pictures he can hang up to see all the time. Don't you love the ribbon connecting the two coasters? Genious, I know (one of my rare moments).

Well, that's all for now. Kids are still sleeping and I need to do some stamping! I've included the supplies list for each project after my signature, so if you don't care, you can stop reading (ahem, Mom)! I have some darling pictures of the kids to share in the next few days. Stop back again!


Dark chocolate tool box:

***ingredients***
Paper: PTI Dark Chocolate, cream
Stamps: Verve Because of You
Ink: Versamark, ranger distress walnut stain
Other: cricut- SCAL ("DAD"), tools from internet; white gel pen, brads

****************

Khaki tool box:

***ingredients***
Paper: something like Sahara Sand, cream

Stamps: Verve Because of You

Ink: ranger distress walnut stain

Other: cricut- Pooh Font, tools from internet; brown pen, brads

****************

Tool belt card:

***ingredients***
Paper: PTI Dark Chocolate, cream
Stamps: Verve Because of You
Ink: walnut stain
Other: brads, white gel pen, cricut: Pooh font, tools from internet

****************

We Love you Dad picture frame:

***ingredients***
Paper: SEI Chocolat
Stamps: n/a
Ink: n/a
Other: coasters (from a woman on SCS selling them), fishing line, suction cups, cricut: Pooh Font, photo corners by Fiskars

****************

No comments:

Post a Comment