Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Our New Puppy!

We have a new addition to our family. No, Mom, it's not a kid, it's a dog!!I saw a puppy on Swap Shop (an on-air program to sell/buy your stuff locally) and called about it. Michelle, Micah and I went to see him in Orange City today, and we decided we just love him and we took him home. So far, he is just the best dog ever!
His old family adopted his mother from the shelter not knowing she was pregnant. Well, she is an 18 pound dog and he is already 30 pounds! They already have four children (the family), so two dogs and six people was just too much in one house. The kids really loved him, but the realized that it just wasn't working. I wanted to get another puppy because Michelle is starting to become really frightened of dogs again. I don't want her to grow up like that (I know what it's like to be frightened of dogs as a child--it's kind of a hinderance). So, we have been looking and I think we found a perfect match.
His name is Tajar--sounds like Badger. It's from a children's book- the main character was half badger, half tiger, so the children in the book called it a tajar. So, his name became Tajar, or Taj for short. He's a mix of something, and my sister-in-law thinks it may be some kind of spaniel. That could be-- he always has his nose to the ground, he has excellent hearing, and he has blotchy spots on his legs that kind of look like Dalmation but is probably Spaniel. We'll see what he looks like when he gets older. Tajar is almost five months old. His disposition is excellent- very calm, and he listens well. He is, understandably, a little excitable when we are gone for a while, but I am confident he will work that out as he gets older.
He was taught several commands by his old family, which I love. He knows how to sit, lie down, not jump, and come. He is just super at listening. We went for two short walks down the driveway, and he never went on the road and always came back to me when I called (or had a treat). He is very smart.
All in all, I am very excited about this dog- and that's saying something, because I'm not a big fan of dogs. He loves to be petted, and his calm nature calms ME. I'm glad we have him.
PS- Here are a couple pictures of the kids enjoying Taj's company--they like him, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment